Mountains near the Host Cities of the Rugby World Cup
Japan will host the Rugby World Cup from September to November 2019. Twenty teams from around the globe will gather and play in 12 cities, ranging from Hokkaido in the north to Kyushu in the south.
The competition takes place in the fall and Japan's climate is great at this season for hiking in the mountains. Here we recommend popular mountains accessible from the various cities hosting the event.
Mt. Soranuma (Soranuma-dake), Mt. Eniwa (Eniwa-dake), and Mt. Sapporo (Sapporo-dake) are all close to Sapporo in Hokkaido. Daisetsuzan National Park is a little further afield but still in range. The Michinoku Coastal Trail is accessible from the Kamaishi in Iwate Prefecture.
The mountains of the Okumusashi area are close to the Saitama's Kumagaya. From Tokyo, Mt. Takao (Takao-san) and Mt. Mitake (Mitake-san) are both in Tokyo, and we also recommend the mountains in the Kanto region.
The mountains of the Tanzawa area are close to Yokohama in Kanagawa Prefecture. Don't miss Kamakura's temples and shrines, and hills while you're there.
Local hikers love Mt. Ogasa (Ogasa-yama) near Shizuoka, Mt. Sanage (Sanage-yama) close to Toyota in Aichi Prefecture, Mt. Kongo (Kongoh-san) near Osaka, and Mt. Rokko (Rokko-san) rising above Kobe.
Our recommendation for Fukuoka is hiking Mt. Homan (Hohman-zan), a sacred mountain that towers over the Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine. Our recommendations for Oita are hiking Mt. Tsurumi (Tsurumi-dake) from Beppu Onsen and Mt. Yufu (Yufu-dake), the symbol of Yufuin Onsen. And our recommendation for Kumamoto is hiking Mt. Aso (Aso-san), the largest active volcano in Japan.
"Mountains near the Host Cities of the Rugby World Cup" featured on this site are as listed below.
- Kuju Mountain Range: Mt. Kuju and Mt. Nakadake Circuit Traversing the Range with the Highest Peak of Kyushu Mainland.
- Kuju Mountain Range: Bohgatsuru, Mt. Daisen, and Mt. Hiji-dake Circuit The Best Wetland and Mountain Views in the Kuju Mountain Range.
- The Easiest Route Up Mt. Takao Tokyo's most popular mountain, the fast way.
- Mt. Takao to Mt. Jinba Traverse An extended pleasant trail perfect for a first-time traverse.
- Mt. Mitake: Cable Car and Rock Garden Circuit A sacred tour of Mt. Mitake through its rock garden.
- Pyramidal Mt. Oyama, One of the Easier Tanzawa Peaks A Sacred Mountain and Japan Heritage Site.
- Mt. Tonodake, Beginning at Okura Ridge (Round Trip) Shortest trail to the highest peak on the Tanzawa-Omote Ridge.
- Mt. Nabewari, Beginning at Okura (Round Trip) Get your udon noodle fix on this popular mountain.
- Mt. Asahi Beginning at Sugatami-daira (Round Trip) Use the ropeway to help you hike Hokkaido's highest peak.
- From Ashiya Rock Garden to Arima Onsen via the Totoya Trail The most popular route on Mt. Rokko
- From Mt. Higashi Otafuku to Takarazuka via the Higashi Rokko Traverse and Mt. Rokko's highest peak Walking the climax of the Traverse of the Whole Rokko Mountain Range.
- Hike the Tengu Trail up Mt. Maya, Descending via the Aotani Trail Hike the Toughest Trail on the Rokko Traverse, Tengu Trail, to Mt. Maya