Ropeway, Gondola, and Cable Car Accessible Mountains
Some mountains in Japan have ropeways, gondolas, or cable cars either at ski resorts or for general tourist use.
Even with mountains about 2000 meters high, this access makes reaching the summit easier. You can often get a discount if you purchase a round trip ticket, but using one-way tickets can help you access a wider range alpine trails and explore the natural scenery around the mountain.
In some locations using the facilities on different peaks can even help with extended treks and traverses. While lifts provide an element of convenience, once they stop for the day, you're stuck. Make sure you know what time the last one runs beforehand.
“Ropeway, Gondola, and Cable Car Accessible Mountains” featured on this site are as listed below.
- The Easiest Route Up Mt. Takao / Tokyo hiking Tokyo's most popular mountain, the fast way.
- Mt. Mitake: Cable Car and Rock Garden Circuit / Tokyo hiking A sacred tour of Mt. Mitake through its rock garden.
- Pyramidal Mt. Oyama, One of the Easier Tanzawa Peaks A Sacred Mountain and Japan Heritage Site.
- Mt. Tanigawa, Tenjin-one Ridge (Round Trip) Take the ropeway for the shortest route to Mt. Tanigawa.
- Nasu Circuit of Mt. Chausu and Mt. Asahi A loop taking in two of Mt. Nasu's best-known peaks.
- The Mt. Nasu trek: Mt. Chausu, Mt. Asahi and Mt. Sanbonyari Access Nasu Sanzan (three peaks) via ropeway and gondola, then hike to the summit and back in one day.
- Round Trip Hike of Mt. Nikko Shirane via Ropeway Hike up the highest peak in the Kanto region along a route with only a minor change in elevation.
- Loop of the Northern Yatsugatake Volcanic Group Mt. Kitayokodake and Mt. Tateshina from Tsuboniwa Lava Plateau Tour through two scenic mountains, virgin forest and ponds.
- Mt. Kiso-Komagatake Round Trip from Senjojiki Cirque This course uses ropeways to help you climb the tallest mountain in the Central Japanese Alps.
- Mt. Karamatsu and Mt. Goryu Traverse of Happo-one Ridge to Tomi-one Ridge This course traverses a ridgeline route across two mountains of the Ushiro Tateyama Peaks.
- Mt. Nishihotaka: Round Trip from Shinhotaka Onsen Trailhead Use a Ropeway to Scale the Hotaka Peaks.
- Mt. Asahi Beginning at Sugatami-daira (Round Trip) Use the ropeway to help you hike Hokkaido's highest peak.
- Traverse Hike of Daisetsuzan Mountain Range from Mt. Asahi to Mt. Kuro-dake Traverse “the roof of Hokkaido” in a single day trip.
- Traverse of Mt. Hakkoda from Ropeway to Sukayu Onsen (hot spring) Descend from the gently sloping summit towards the wetland.
- Round Trip Hike of Mt. Tsurugi from Minokoshi Use the lift and enjoy a hike on the ridgeline with great views.
- Mt. Ishizuchi: Round Trip from the Ropeway Summit Day Hike on a Sacred Peak.
- Circulate Course on Mt. Gozaisho from Nakamichi to Uramichi Enjoy the popular mountains of the Tokai region on a route full of variety.
- Traverse on Mt. Zao, Mt. Jizo, Mt. Kumano and Mt. Katta Tour around the magnificent volcanic landform and crater lakes.
- Circulating Route on Mt. Tsukuba from Tukubasan-jinja Shrine Tour around the twin peaks that command a view of the Kanto Plain.
- Hike of a Sacred Mountain, Mt. Ontake Round trip over the sacred peak of an active volcano from Ontake Ropeway.