Mountains formed by Volcanic Activity
Unlike the Himalayas or the Alps, which were formed by the collision of continental plates resulting tectonic uplift , many of Japan’s mountains are formed by volcanic activity. Although volcanoes do have their own unique sights to enjoy, whether it is stunning crater walls or calderas that spew smoke and gas, the danger of an eruption must always be kept in mind .
Make sure to check the volcanic warnings issued by the Japan Meteorological Agency when planning a hike. Access restrictions are put in place when the Volcanic Alert Level is Level 2 or above on the five-level scale. Should this occur, you will be unable to hike to the summit. Keep in mind that even if the Volcanic Alert Level is Level 1 there is a need to be careful when passing downwind of fumaroles.
We also recommend that you carry items such as a helmet to protect your head from material ejected from the volcano in the event of a sudden eruption and a mask to protect your airways from volcanic ash and gasses.
The “Mountains formed by Volcanic Activity” featured on this site are as listed below.
- Mt. Hiuchigatake Round trip from Miike Trailhead A day hike to the peak overlooking Lake Ozenuma.
- Mt. Fuji, Yoshida Trailhead Route The most popular route to Japan’s highest mountain peak.
- Mt. Fuji, Fujinomiya Trail Route The shortest route to the top of Japan’s highest mountain.
- Nasu Circuit of Mt. Chausu and Mt. Asahi A loop taking in two of Mt. Nasu's best-known peaks.
- The Mt. Nasu trek: Mt. Chausu, Mt. Asahi and Mt. Sanbonyari Access Nasu Sanzan (three peaks) via ropeway and gondola, then hike to the summit and back in one day.
- Traverse of Mt. Kurikoma from Iwakagami-daira to Sukawa Onsen (hot spring) From the scenic ridgeline, towards beautiful wetland and secret hot spring.
- Mt. Chokai: Round Trip from Hokotate A Splendid Solitary Peak and its Ethereal Mountain Lake.
- Traverse of Mt. Hiuchi and Mt. Myoko from Mt. Sasagamine Traversing route with a variety of natural features including wetlands, ponds and rock ridges.
- Round Trip Hike of Mt. Rishiri via the Oshidomari Course Trek a beautiful peak which towers over the sea.
- Mt. Asahi Beginning at Sugatami-daira (Round Trip) Use the ropeway to help you hike Hokkaido's highest peak.
- Traverse Hike of Daisetsuzan Mountain Range from Mt. Asahi to Mt. Kuro-dake Traverse “the roof of Hokkaido” in a single day trip.
- Round Trip Hike of Mt. Yotei via the Makkari Trail Hike up a beautiful free-standing mountain in the southern region of Hokkaido.
- A Scenic Hike Around Kusasenrigahama in the Mt. Aso Area Hike through a scenic area while viewing grand, large-scale mountain vistas forged by active volcanoes.
- Kuju Mountain Range: Mt. Kuju and Mt. Nakadake Circuit Traversing the Range with the Highest Peak of Kyushu Mainland.
- Hike Up to Mt. Tsurumi from Matogahama Set out from 0 meters above sea level and ascend the mountain that is as a symbol of Beppu Onsen.
- Hike of a Sacred Mountain, Mt. Nantai in Nikko Area Round trip from the sacred shrine, Chuguji of Futarasan-jinja.
- Hike of a Sacred Mountain, Mt. Hakusan; Round Trip from the Kanko Shindo Route One of Japan’s three sacred mountains, also famed for its alpine flora.
- Mt. Rausu Round Trip from Iwaobetsu Onsen (hot spring) Hike the Highest Mountain in Shiretoko, a UNESCO World Natural Heritage Site.
- Japan’s Own Long Trail: A 50 km Route Traversing Mt. Iwate, the Mt. Hachimantai, and Appi Highlands A trail offering a variety of enjoyable sights such as highlands, wetlands, and volcanic peaks.
- Mt. Norikura: Round Trip from Tatami-daira Quick Summit of a 3,000 Meter Peak in the Japanese Alps.
- Round Trip Hike of Mt. Nikko Shirane via Ropeway Hike up the highest peak in the Kanto region along a route with only a minor change in elevation.
- Traverse of Mt. Hakkoda from Ropeway to Sukayu Onsen (hot spring) Descend from the gently sloping summit towards the wetland.
- Round Trip of Mt. Yufu from the Front Trailhead Beautiful twin peaks surrounded by hot springs.
- Traverse on Mt. Zao, Mt. Jizo, Mt. Kumano and Mt. Katta Tour around the magnificent volcanic landform and crater lakes.
- Hike of a Sacred Mountain, Mt. Ontake Round trip over the sacred peak of an active volcano from Ontake Ropeway.