The belief that Yaoyorozu no Kami, countless gods and goddesses, dwell in every thing and occurrence in the world has long been rooted in Japan.
Because Japan is a country covered by so much mountainous terrain, mountains often became the object of this belief inevitably. This is well indicated by the grandiose shrines and temples built deep in the mountains and the custom of worshiping the mountains themselves as kami.
This worship can take many forms including the ascetic practice of making solo pilgrimages to rugged rocky mountains or participating in regions organizations known as “ko,” which are formed by local residents who get together to climb and make contributions to their sacred mountains.
There are also many mountains for which their summit is itself a temple or shrine as well as many magnificent temples and shrines located on mountains.
“Sacred Mountains” featured on this site are as listed below.
- The Easiest Route Up Mt. Takao Tokyo's most popular mountain, the fast way.
- Mt. Takao to Mt. Jinba Traverse An extended pleasant trail perfect for a first-time traverse.
- Mt. Mitake: Cable Car and Rock Garden Circuit A sacred tour of Mt. Mitake through its rock garden.
- Pyramidal Mt. Oyama, One of the Easier Tanzawa Peaks A Sacred Mountain and Japan Heritage Site.
- Mt. Fuji, Yoshida Trailhead Route The most popular route to Japan’s highest mountain peak.
- Mt. Fuji, Fujinomiya Trail Route The shortest route to the top of Japan’s highest mountain.
- Round trip hike to Mt. Okuhotaka from Kamikochi Hike the highest peak in Northern Japanese Alps from the Karasawa Cirque.
- Mt. Yarigatake: Round Trip from Kamikochi An Easy to Follow Route Up This Sharp Northern Japanese Alps Peak.
- The Tateyama Three Peak Circuit Hike from Tateyama Murodo Trek across a sacred mountain range with a landscape of towering volcanic peaks.
- Round Trip Hike of Mt. Kai-komagatake and Mt. Senjogatake from the Kitazawa-toge Pass. Hike Two of Japan’s 100 Famous Mountains from the Kitazawa-toge Pass.
- Mt. Chokai: Round Trip from Hokotate A Splendid Solitary Peak and its Ethereal Mountain Lake.
- Mt. Ishizuchi: Round Trip from the Ropeway Summit Day Hike on a Sacred Peak.
- Mt. Norikura: Round Trip from Tatami-daira Quick Summit of a 3,000 Meter Peak in the Japanese Alps.