The belief that Yaoyorozu no Kami, countless gods and goddesses, dwell in every thing and occurrence in the world has long been rooted in Japan.
Because Japan is a country covered by so much mountainous terrain, mountains often became the object of this belief inevitably. This is well indicated by the grandiose shrines and temples built deep in the mountains and the custom of worshiping the mountains themselves as kami.
This worship can take many forms including the ascetic practice of making solo pilgrimages to rugged rocky mountains or participating in regions organizations known as “ko,” which are formed by local residents who get together to climb and make contributions to their sacred mountains.
There are also many mountains for which their summit is itself a temple or shrine as well as many magnificent temples and shrines located on mountains.
“Sacred Mountains” featured on this site are as listed below.
- Hike of a Sacred Mountain, Mt. Hakusan; Round Trip from the Kanko Shindo Route One of Japan’s three sacred mountains, also famed for its alpine flora.
- Mt. Fuji, Yoshida Trailhead Route The most popular route to Japan’s highest mountain peak.
- Mt. Fuji, Fujinomiya Trail Route The shortest route to the top of Japan’s highest mountain.
- The Tateyama Three Peak Circuit Hike from Tateyama Murodo Trek across a sacred mountain range with a landscape of towering volcanic peaks.
- Hike of a Sacred Mountain, Mt. Hoki-daisen; Round Trip from the Natsuyama Hiking Course An easily traversed route to the Chugoku region’s highest peak.
- Mt. Ishizuchi: Round Trip from the Ropeway Summit Day Hike on a Sacred Peak.
- The Easiest Route Up Mt. Takao / Tokyo hiking Tokyo's most popular mountain, the fast way.
- Mt. Takao to Mt. Jinba Traverse / Tokyo , Kanagawa hiking An extended pleasant trail perfect for a first-time traverse.
- Mt. Mitake: Cable Car and Rock Garden Circuit / Tokyo hiking A sacred tour of Mt. Mitake through its rock garden.
- Pyramidal Mt. Oyama, One of the Easier Tanzawa Peaks A Sacred Mountain and Japan Heritage Site.
- Round Trip Hike & Climb for Mt. Tsurugi via Bessan Ridge Set out to conquer one of Japan’s greatest peaks.
- Round Trip Hike of Mt. Kai-komagatake and Mt. Senjogatake from the Kitazawa-toge Pass. Hike Two of Japan’s 100 Famous Mountains from the Kitazawa-toge Pass.
- Mt. Chokai: Round Trip from Hokotate A Splendid Solitary Peak and its Ethereal Mountain Lake.
- Mt. Norikura: Round Trip from Tatami-daira Quick Summit of a 3,000 Meter Peak in the Japanese Alps.
- Round trip hike to Mt. Okuhotaka from Kamikochi Hike the highest peak in Northern Japanese Alps from the Karasawa Cirque.
- Mt. Yarigatake: Round Trip from Kamikochi An Easy to Follow Route Up This Sharp Northern Japanese Alps Peak.
- Round Trip of Mt. Homan from Kamado-jinja Shrine Experience the history of religious faith in the sacred mountain of Shugendo.
- Traverse on Mt. Zao, Mt. Jizo, Mt. Kumano and Mt. Katta Tour around the magnificent volcanic landform and crater lakes.
- Circulating Route on Mt. Tsukuba from Tukubasan-jinja Shrine Tour around the twin peaks that command a view of the Kanto Plain.
- Hike of a Sacred Mountain, Mt. Ontake Round trip over the sacred peak of an active volcano from Ontake Ropeway.
- Round Trip of Koya-sanzan, the Sacred Sites of Shingon Buddhism Tour the three cute mountains that surround the sacred area of Koyasan